?? Voice ??

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 6 May 2004 18:00:10 -0500

Joe,

Ok, I'll be brave.  Pliers (vise grips) were sort of popular some years
back, but it seems they are politically incorrect these days.  I learned to
use them to soften up really hard shoulders (not lacquered ones!) to make
needling possible where sustain was lacking.  Using vise-grips would cause
cupping on the shoulder and then next, one would needle enough to remove the
cupping.  Worked great to open up the sound on certain pianos.  I won't
mention any names, but I learned it from factory tech reps--so somebody
thought it was OK back then.  ;-)   Aw heck, things go in and out of
fashion, except perhaps for orange shag carpeting and flocked wallpaper.

As with any voicing method (and there are a mess of them), the secret is to
proceed with caution, since hammers can get destroyed by overdoing anything.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Peoria, IL Chapter