Hide Glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 06 May 2004 16:22:51 -0500

>Hi List,
>
>In the instructions normally given for hide glue, it says to add the water
>and leave all night.
>
>I can't for the life of me figure out, why this is so.
>
>If it is heated up, and is clear, and of the consistency you want, what is
>the difference.
>
>I just made some up, and it seems ok, after 3 hours, from adding the water.
>
>Would someone please explain, why the requirement for soaking?
>
>Thank you.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross

I dump glue crystals in the pot, add water, put the lid on, and plug it in.
No soaking. A while later (after it's melted), I'll stir it up thoroughly
to make sure everything is dissolved and well mixed, then leave the lid off
for a while. My criteria is what Terry said, and that it skins over in the
pot with the lid off. If it's not yet to the "skins over" stage, it's not
ready. When it does, it is.

Ron N