Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 14:54:13 EDT

When talking about lacquer vs. non, or voicing up softer hammers vs. voicing
down firmer, I think there's a tendency to claim superiority of one method
over the other, maybe especially among our European colleagues.

I don't see it that way at all. Any voicing method has six goals: power,
sustain, color range, evenness, durability, and efficiency. However, pianos are
all different, as are their owners, their locations, their tonal concept, and
their amount and style of use. This is the reason that no manufacturer can make
a perfect hammer, and the reason that we need as large a bag of tricks as
possible to serve our clients effectively.

I use both styles of hammer, depending upon the client, the piano, and the
situation. I have heard hammers of both styles that sounded STUNNING. To say
that lacquer ruins a hammer, or that it renders needles useless, or that the tone
of a lacquered hammer must be either harsh or linear, bespeaks improper use
of this tool. To say that a company with at least 100 years of use of hardeners
is on the wrong path would be an overstatement, to say the least. There is
more than one rich, valid, satisfying tonal concept, and I am glad to have
access to both styles of hammer.

Some voicers are more experienced than others, some hammers (in both styles)
are better than others, and poor use of any tool is a bad thing.  Improper use
of lacquer can ruin a hammer, just as poor technique with needles can. Juice
in the right place can increase power; in the wrong place can actually reduce
it. Same with needles.

Juice raises the stiffness of a hammer (somewhat selectively, depending upon
where it is applied), but does not need to reduce its resilience, if it is
used to stiffen fibers rather than glue them together. Needles do not work the
same way in the NY Steinway-style hammer as they do in the denser style, but
they do work.

If anyone has seen the classes that Dale Erwin and/or I taught, you may
remember our putting both styles side-by-side and voicing them to sound the same,
or mighty close. In some classes we put hammers from twelve different pianos in
one octave, and voiced them similarly. While I won't claim absolute
invisibility, I think most people were at least a little surprised. We did mention the
fact that a particular result might be easier either to achieve or to maintain
with a particular hammer, but our point was that appropriate technique,
pinpointed by an understanding of what the hammer was calling for, could go a long
way toward evening out differences.

A voicing method must do what you want, and only what you want, at the lowest
total cost.

Bob Davis