steinway over hardened hammer

Thu, 6 May 2004 07:32:16 -0700

The reason this debate seems to go back and forth between lacquered versus
non-lacquered hammers is because nobody is producing a hammer that either
doesn't need lacquer or 50 needle strokes (or more) in each shoulder in
order to get the tone that you want.  Like Goldilocks, I'm looking for a
hammer that's just right.  I don't particularly care for what happens to a
lacquered hammer over time, but neither do I prefer the tone that a heat
and pressure hardened hammer produces, nor what it does to my elbow, arm
and shoulder to get it where I want.  Further, if needling destroys a
hammer, why make a hammer that needs 50 stitches a side before it can begin
to produce the type of tone I want and, more importantly perhaps,
demonstrate any stability.  Maybe the Wurzen felt is the answer, more
likely it is the type and style of pressing that will make the difference.

It would be interesting if tone production could be quantified in some way.
My guess is that the amount of firmness/resilience/whatever will show up on
some type of oscilliscope.  It seems, from what my ears tell me, that the
hammer that produces the greatest amplitude from the outset, with the least
number of jagged edges, and that which developes into a smooth wave pattern
the quickest, with the least change in amplitude from impact to development
will be the winner.  And let's not forget the low end either.  A good
pianissimo is as, if not more important, as a good forte.   Do we want a
hammer that produces and volume range from 10 - 20?  Or would 3 - 15 be
better.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net