steinway over hardened hammer

Thu, 06 May 2004 09:07:50 +0200

David Love wrote:

>Needling up is not possible on a lacquered hammer.  On a tensioned hammer,
>needling the shoulders releases tension toward the crown and the tone will
>get brighter.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

This is absolutely correct.  And explains I think why so many voicers
are not particularilly fond of the tendancy to reach for the hardner
bottle so quickly.  Many a set of fine tensioned hammers are <<ruined>>
because of lacquer being applied before all that capablility with the
hammer is exhausted.

Seems to me that if you first are going to use the lacquering
technique... then selecting a set of hammers that are appropriate for
that approach is a must. Soaking lacquer into tensioned hammers is a
meaningless waste from both perspectives.

Cheers
RicB