on topic about off topic

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 5 May 2004 09:15:19 -0500

Posted to the list back in February:
no more Northwestern organ majors
I see in the Trib today that Northwestern University has cancelled its =
organ music program due to lack of interest. No organ majors have =
enrolled in the school since 2000. Presently enrolled organ majors can =
finish their degree, but that's it.
=20
Just thought somebody might be interested in this.
=20
=20
=20
It is interesting to go back through the archives. The above post came =
from an individual who has recently been complaining loudly, peppered =
with angry marks, about the necessity of keeping discussions on the =
topic of pianos and only pianos. Obviously there is no reference to =
pianos above. In fact, browsing through the archives, he often complains =
loudly about OT posts, sometimes having 3 or 4 angry and loud OT posts =
in any given OT thread.
=20
The problem is not OT posts, it is the loud and angry posts about OT =
posts. They make it miserable for everyone. Most everyone makes OT =
posts, even those who complain about it. I pointed out to a different =
complainer that for the month of April his OT posts outnumbered mine by =
an 8 to 1 margin. But he sure likes to complain about certain OT posts =
with loud (all caps) text and profuse exclamation points.=20
=20
OT posts are inevitable, and even desirable. They give us insights into =
the lives of our fellow techs, many of whom are really smart and know =
fascinating tidbits on a whole range of subjects. Without OT posts I =
wouldn=92t have found the patch to make my laptop=92s LCD screen =
sharper, I wouldn=92t know Ric Benke is a fellow dark beer lover, I =
wouldn=92t know that Sarah thinks about deep issues that most of us =
allow our opinions to shaped by others around us on,  and some of you =
wouldn=92t have Avery Todd=92s BBQ recipe.=20
=20
There is no need for the list to be moderated. Who has time and what =
criteria would be used? Would the above organ post have made it through? =
Would Avery Todd=92s BBQ recipe have made it? Would those with secret =
handshake be given more leeway?   ;-)   (sorry, I couldn=92t resist)
=20
Nearly every mail handler that I am aware of has filtering capability. =
Just set up a rule to filter out OT (case sensitive) or =93off topic=94 =
to the deleted folder. You could even move them to a different temporary =
folder if you wanted to briefly scan them for whatever reason. For =
anyone who =93hates=94 off topic posts this is a very easy thing to do. =
If you use Microsoft Outlook I=92d be happy to walk you through how to =
do it. If you use something else, I=92m sure someone else on this list =
could help you with it.=20
=20
The only thing is we would have to remember to put OT in the subject =
line, which most people are pretty good about doing, but sometimes even =
those who complain when it doesn=92t show up forget, as in the above =
organ post. Reminders may need to be issued periodically. No big deal.=20
=20
Let=92s extend a little grace and tolerance to one another here. I think =
we can do it without an act of Congress.=20
=20
Blessings,
=20
=20