Shortening plastic keytops

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 05 May 2004 00:09:58 +0200

Hello Ric.

I have one of those mini bandsaws, which work really great for cutting
an ornate music desk in softt wood.  With plastic, even with the blades
they recommend for synthetic stuff, you cut about 7 mm  and then, the
plastic sticks on the blade, goes jumping around, and breaks (even with
speed at it's lowest setting).  Once I could cut through the 22.5 mm
width of the key, but then the 20 first mm were stuck together again.

I ended up using a belt sander for removing the 3 mm excess, and a file
used in the manner of a scraper to remove the mess.  Finishing worked
just nice as you described : down the grits until 1000 and buffing
wheel.  Thanks for advise.

Stéphane Collin.