Traveling with tools

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 4 May 2004 13:02:45 -0400

You guys are travelling by the wrong mode. Gotta go by ship. When I go =
onto the big cruise ships to service pianos, I go with my electronic =
instrument, big pocket knife, coiled wires, etc. - it goes through the =
radar thingee and they never even want to look. Go figure.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 11:11 AM
  Subject: Re: Traveling with tools

  Hi Del,

  A digital caliper?!  Geez!

  Did you ever figure out whether that was a "listed" item?  By that, I =
mean that the taps were actually listed in the drill bit category, which =
is verbotten.  Are measurement devices placed on a verbotten list too?  =
Perhaps the problem was that you had an item of unrecognizable =
electronics that they thought might be a bo*mb or a remote control of =
some sort?  Would a dial-type caliper have passed through more easily?

  I sometimes need to travel with odd tools and/or measurement devices =
and would like to know how to avoid these problems in the future.  Does =
anyone know where we can find an exhaustive list of prohibited items?

  BTW, back in the late 1980's, I once had to travel overseas with a =
large carry-on bag full of electronic equipment, much of it home-built.  =
Anticipating trouble from security, I remember carrying letters from =
department heads, explaining that I needed the equipment for my =
research.  Do screeners pay attention to letters and/or professional =
documentation, these days?

  The future of aviation should be interesting to watch.  First, there =
was Southwest Airlines, with stewartesses in hotpants and gogo boots.  =
Now there's Air Hooters (or whatever they're called).  Soon there will =
be NudeAir -- 'cuz we may as well be travelin' nude anyway.  ;-)

  Peace,
  Sarah