paint over finish

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 03 May 2004 11:54:52 -0600

David,
Most strippers will affect the finish underneath.  A citrus stripper
utilized to remove the paint will take the sheen off of the finish
underneath, the stain too if left long enough.  You can then take a sponge
(for staining) and sponge on a coat to restore the finish
underneath.  Alternatively, you may be able to lightly sand off the paint
with a medium sanding sponge and follow with a fine sanding sponge and then
restore the finish.

In any case you will want to figure how much you want to deduct from the
price for your time or, if you are hiring someone, how much they are going
to charge.  Time is greatly affected by how much ornamental woodwork you
will have to deal with.  As I recall the U1 is quite simple that way.

Other details to observe are: pin torque, cracks/no in soundboard,
soundboard crown, hammer condition, action condition etc.

Andrew