Removing CELLULOID Keytops/RicB

Sun, 02 May 2004 23:56:48 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

>RicB said: "An old fashioned metal teapot... narrow snout... direct the
>steam onto
>the keytops and they will get hot enough to peel off with no danger of
>torching, and no fumes."
>

>RicB & a few others,
>You aren't comprehending!!!!!! This stuff is pre 1900 CELLULOID!!!! It is
>not the modern plastic that most are accustomed to. It is attached with
>something that is impervious to heat and STEAM/MOISTURE! GET IT???????
>GOOD!!!

Never ran into any key tops that didnt come off real easily with the
right amount of heat..... ran into some that would instantly explode in
your face it you got it too hot .... but steam always works... even for
modern stuff.  But if you say so... ok...

If you cant steam / heat it off...then I suppose you are stuck cutting
it off one way or the other. Never liked the planer myself. Always
prefered a good band saw with a nice thin blade.  Getting a level top as
a result is just a matter of making something to hold the keys in the
right orientation to pull through... but you know all this stuff.

I'd like to see these... have a hard time thinking what they could
possibly have had at their disposal 100 years ago that steam couldnt handle.

>Now, if any of you have a neat trick regarding this stuff, then
>speak up. Otherwise.....?

Cheers
RicB