Damper Stop Rail

Sun, 02 May 2004 18:08:10 +0200

Joseph Alkana wrote:

> Thanks ric! I'm back to tuning  pianos about half time after the heart
> attacks. Guess I'll just drift into retirement and work as much as I
> want to and not sweat the pressure of full days. It was hard moving
> out of our house of 20 years and losing the shop I had, though. I'm
> back to doing key bushings on the kitchen table again!

I can relate to the sense of loss for sure... but then on the other
hand..... doing actions on the kitchen table brings back a lot of fond
memories :)  In anycase, a big smile lite up on my face to see your post
come up.  Glad you are back in the swing of things.

> You got me to thinking that a piano I service has a weird springy feel
> at the very end of the key stroke. I think I missed that one as a
> problem with the stop rail being too close toward the dampers. It's
> hard to feel problems in an upright key due to the damper pick-up by
> the spoon, vague let-off feel, back check engaging too soon. Even
> harder to see the problems in slow motion, as what you see isn't what
> you experience in real time speed. Does that mean I should just
> service grands?    :-)

Grands are much cooler regardless :)    Nice work if you can get it.
I've had a stretch of 7-8 years now with mostly grands... knock on
wood.  But my kitchen table and my upright rack are handy anytime I need
them.

Cheers
RicB