pinblock drilling angle, with pin bushings

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 12:00:12 EDT

 Michael  writes:
<<  So as the pin is driven through the bushing and into the pinblock, I can
see it change direction, and I would think that either the bushing or the
pinblock (or maybe both) is being damaged by this misalignment .   Pin torque is
right where I want it, so maybe I'm obsessing over nothing.  But I would
appreciate hearing from some of you who have more years of following your
restringings, is this in fact a problem, and if so, how do you minimize the effect? >>

  I think you may be obsessing, (not that that is a bad thing, but don't let
it waste time).  The sideways grain orientation of the wood in the bushings
allows them to crush very easily.  They cannot contribute much in the way of
support or force on the tuning pins.
  I have never found that restringings with tuning pin bushings are
noticeably different from those without.  If you have the holes drilled in or very near
the center of the plate holes, don't worry about the bushings,  I haven't
seen that they don't matter that much.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT