Soundboard Moisture Content

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:24:27 -0600

>The likely scenario is that I encounter this Petrof or similar
>piano/situation with the compression ridges and can then point to an
>unusually high reading on the meter suggesting that there are problems
>somewhere contributing to this phenomenon. Could you tell me how you
>address this kind of a situation?

I show them the hygrometer reading and explain what's happening. If you
want to convert to MC, a chart is the easy method. You could even print one
for the customer (if they understand and are interested) from that
spreadsheet I passed out a while back.

>I am in the rather sticky situation of having recommended this piano for
>purchase to this customer. They bought it second hand from another of my
>customers. It could be simply that the compression crowned board is doing
>what they all seem to do eventually. The timing stinks though since this
>happened within about 8 months of them making the purchase.

I don't think the 10 year old soundboard suddenly expired after 8 months in
an environment similar to the one it had lived in up to that point. It was
either in trouble at the time of sale, or the environment in it's new home
is different - and detrimental. In this case, what's the RH% in the house?

Ron N