something about after touch and movement of the jack.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:19:34 +0200

Hello, Roger, and all,

I believe you can attain , or anyway tend to, the wanted aftertouch since
the first pass (seeing it as a sensation, plus visual check) . What happens
is that it is not stable enough, as other regulations always, so a second
pass is necessary, (and a third, a fourth  ...) after some time or
immediately, depending of the job.
And indeed the following passes allow for more refinement and give a clearer
lecture of the instrument, I will say also that a very much refined voicing
can't be done unless the regulation is at the most, so the power delivered
by the action is very even.

A regulation pass including the letoff, the lever position, the springs, the
drop, the backchecks, the hammer stroke  is possible in less than 2 hours
apparently (I've done 2 yesterday, plus numerous tunings and voicing. So it
is just a matter of knowing what we are doing and "follow the rules" at the
moment where we do it.

We have many elements that tell us where the aftertouch is, so it is not
that difficult to focus on it.

I refer primarily to tone (among others) , and I generally notice the note
that have a little less aftertouch, and then I see the hammer that is
slightly lower (visual impaired tuners may well do the same), or the dip a
little more (or the roller misplaced, etc...).

I would not  not name really tight the specifications Andre gives, but they
look to me like tendencies (the 0.4 mm landing being the nicest) Sometime
they are due to other elements than your regulation as well like the front
punching, the checking, so it may be  useful to learn to recognize them so
we know what we are doing before hand.

And yes why not refuse to regulate a piano with second grade or old front
punching , when you have used your shoes, you change them is not it ? when
it comes to the price of first class punching they are not that expensive
(around 10$) . The same refuse to work on worn hammers (I understand why,
really , thanks Andre, even, if a fast shaping is 10 min work can help, you
get NOTHING of old hammers, nor a big desequilibrium in tone and touch '(and
too much work to get it acceptable).

I order around 12 sets of Yamaha green punching each 2 months or so,  I
understand Andre obtained Wurzen front punching with a better give, a little
like the Steinway ones, and I am impatient to try them. The price of a set
is not high, and when used to the 2 fingers method insertion from Yamaha,
(or the brucel  pliers for the ones that have too thick fingers) , changing
the punching is 10-15 min work.

At the same moment, it is a good opportunity to level the cardboard punching
quantity, and get rid of the numerous thin punching that can have been
added.
I am anal for the paper punching quality, and I use only Yamaha ones, they
are not that cheap, but more fast to install and they are stable in time.

I am yet to find a better solution, but I'll avoid at any price second
choice front paper punching(and balance of course)

A few years ago no one was taking care of the front punching, then now it is
the most used trick around good professionals to ameliorate a piano in a
pinch. It generally brings large smile to the face of the pianists.

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG