Soundboard Moisture Content

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:09:29 -0500

Thank you Del ( and congrats). I appreciate your quick response.
I've been thinking of a purchase but what I understand you to say is that
no meter will give a reading likely to be accurate enough to warrant the
purchase. I was hoping to have something for shop use as well and also
something to show a customer. The likely scenario is that I encounter this
Petrof or similar piano/situation with the compression ridges and can then
point to an unusually high reading on the meter suggesting that there are
problems somewhere contributing to this phenomenon. Could you tell me how
you address this kind of a situation?
I am in the rather sticky situation of having recommended this piano for
purchase to this customer. They bought it second hand from another of my
customers. It could be simply that the compression crowned board is doing
what they all seem to do eventually. The timing stinks though since this
happened within about 8 months of them making the purchase.

Best,
Greg