another cracked plate question

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:14:19 -0500

I'm with you, Del. That plate is toast. I'm wondering how solid the wooden
frame is and if the plate bolts are all tight.

If the couple is really attached to this piano, they are going to have to
pay some big bucks to get it healthy.

As one who use to design large structural members, we used to weigh the
benefits of building up a weldment vs. going with an single casting. It
seems to me that a good fabrication shop could take the plate casting and
design a welded steel replacement for a couple thousand dollars.

Alternatively, find another one that needs rebuilt. Should be able to pick
one up for less than $2k. Scrap the piano and take the plate for your
customer. It may turn into a pretty good size project as you fit the
different plate into your customer's piano.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Delwin D Fandrich
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:39 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: another cracked plate question

Let's see, now. We have three 'old' cracks and at least one 'new' crack.
What should have happened, of course, is that when the original cracks
appeared (back "when the piano was quite new") the piano and/or the plate
should have been replaced. At this point there is little hope of either.
Nor, based on the track record so far, is there much hope that, even if this
new crack is successfully repaired, some new crack or cracks won't appear
next week or next year.

One crack can be analyzed and sometimes repaired successfully. But four?
Something is seriously wrong here. I'm guessing, now, but it sounds like a
poor iron mix or a defective pour. Probably the latter. In either case,
sometimes you simply got to know "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em."
It may be time to fold 'em.

But, just in case, where are the cracks and can you furnish a picture or
two?

Del