Fw: Concert hall work

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:12:36 -0800

These situations can present problems.  On one hand, the pianos will be serviced regularly and frequently and the concert administrators tend to want a discount because of it.  On the other hand, the expectations for a concert level instrument are high and you will spend a lot of time detailing the instrument (or you should).  A concert instrument that is used regularly should never really be allowed to get out of tune, voice or regulation.  That means that you need to be conscious of these items each time the piano is serviced, and that takes time even if the pianos is serviced regularly.  I don't extend discounts in these situations.  Generally, my concert (or recording studio) fee is not a flat fee.  On a fist time situation, my fee is based on how long it takes to get the piano to where I think it is acceptable.  I usually schedule a minimum of 2 hours in such situations.

In contrast to this, in a situation in which the piano will be getting regular use, but the administration does not want to have the piano serviced at every concert, but on a regular basis, I can tell you my present arrangement that seems to be satisfactory.  First, the piano must be brought to concert level and a baseline established.  Depending on what has happened before, the amount of time required to do this will vary with the amount of regulation, voicing, etc., etc.,.  After I have gotten the piano to that level, I schedule to service the piano twice a month.  Then my fee is my normal service fee (flat, not discounted).  At twice a month, the amount of tuning required is less than were the piano serviced at irregular intervals.  I can ususally review the tuning in 30 minutes give or take (using a VT helps speed up this process as I have the tuning memorized in the machine).  That leaves additional time to fine tune the voicing, check the regulation, etc..  If I see that the piano will need something over and above this (let's say, damper work or something), I advise them in advance, so that funds can be put aside, allocated, or raised.  My contract, then, is a monthly fee to cover two service calls per month.  Additional work is scheduled and billed on an as needed basis.  If they want an additional tuning, big important concert or something, than I bill that over and above.  If the piano needs a damper job, same thing.

At twice a month, if your unisons are solid, the piano should survive several concerts.  Of course, I live in California, where the changes in humidity are minimal.  Were I in a more fluxuating environement I would take that into consideration.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Barbara Richmond
To: Pianotech
Sent: 3/27/2004 11:03:48 AM
Subject: Fw: Concert hall work

OK folks,

I asked this before (read below) and got one really good speculative answer, but didn't hear from anybody who actually has a maintenance schedule or agreement set up.  I'm sure there must be someone out there who has something like this set up.  The information (in hours) would be helpful for determining a budget line.   I'm told the amount the pianos are used varies (not as busy as a recital hall at a university, of course), but still, there are multiple tunings every month.

Anyone have anything set up like, for instance, after x number of concert preps (tuning & tweaking), x hours are spent to catch up on maintenance?

Barbara Richmond