removing key bushings

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:01:00 -0600

I'm quite certain these came from the factory this way.

Thanks to all who responded.

To wrap up my part of the discussion, what I did with the bushings was
my usual procedure: first soak with water and a bit of wallpaper paste
remover. Then I steamed them with steam from a teapot. The buahings came
out OK -- more difficult than hide glue, though.

Oddly, the bushings came out easier with a lower pressure steam stream
as opposed to higher pressure. The FR bushings could be removed more
easily than the BR bushings. ???

I did try acetone on one bushing, but was concerned about acetone
accidentally getting on the plastic keytops. Alcohol and water and/or
alcohol/acetone/water might have done better, and I can try that the
next time.

I basically figured that it was going to take extra work no matter what
so I might as well just get it over with and quit grumbling. <g>

The only negative result I've seem from steaming bushings is splitting
of some key buttons. Is that normal, or does it occur mainly on cheaper
pianos? I'd be guessing the latter since the two times it has happened
they were spinets.

Regards,

John Formsma