Advent speakers available again, slightly OT

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:30:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Terry!

A few random thoughts here regarding installations of this sort and whether the speakers are necessary near/under the piano.  First, is the piano located within just a few running feet (of cable) to the stereo system?  Purists will say that there is considerable loss of fidelity when running lines more than, say, 6 feet, but I think the issue is more one of keeping the connecting cables out of harm's way.  Second, the same argument is perhaps more applicable to mounting the control unit...if it is attached to the instrument, it will likely be less vulnerable when/if the instrument is moved, even just a few feet.  And third, these Advents were/are VERY good-sounding units, attractively and efficiently packaged.  A former colleague of mine, whilst undergoing a "domestic reorganization," existed very well in a small apartment with his CD player with FM tuner running through a pair of these powered speakers.  Actually a rather remarkable sound for their size.

Sorry, can't help at all with the Monkees...now, "Weird Al" Jankovic, that's a whole OTHER story....................!

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:19:01 -0500
From: "Farrell"
To: "Pianotech"

Subject: PianoDisk Installations, was: Advent Speakers available again -
slightly OT

If I were to install a pianodisk on a piano in my home, I would be very tempted to explore connecting the unit output to my home stereo, rather than little speakers under the piano. Why have I never seen this done?

And while I'm at it, I would install the unit on a shelf near the piano, rather than have it hang down from the keybed like my 8-track player used to hang from the dash of my '66 Dodge Dart. Why have I not seen a remote installation of the player unit?

Hey, can you get any pianodisk music for...... the Monkeys?

Not, of course that I have an opinion on any of this.....  ;-)

Terry Farrell

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40@sbcglobal.net