audience throws off pitch

Wally Scherer afinetune@yahoo.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:49:16 -0800 (PST)

Continuing with the theme of factors in the auditorium
that throw off the pitch, like stage lights, I had
this experience a few years ago.

I was taking some graduate classes at a local
university and worked out a deal to tune the schools
pianos in exchange for the tuition.

One of my professors, a clarinetist, asked me to tune
the little Baldwin grand in the dining hall, as they
were having a concert/dinner the next night and he was
playing. The next week, when I asked him how it went,
he told me that it was a good thing he had a shorter
barrell for his clarinet as the piano went sharper and
sharper as the evening went on.

I suspected that the increased humidity caused by 500
people exhaling in the dining hall may have done it.
Have any others of you experienced a similar
situation?

=====
Wallace T. Scherer, Piano Technician, Music Educator
Piano Tuning & Repairs, Piano Lessons, Edwards String Covers
P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, 33465
Phone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune