"shaving" old key leads

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:33:54 -0800

<Any thoughts how it became oxidised in the first place?
frank &lt;frankbee@dds.nl&gt;>

Additives like zink and other "hamburger helpers", due to the shortage of
lead during WWII.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: frank &lt;frankbee@dds.nl&gt;
To: PTG &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: &quot;shaving&quot; old key leads
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:11:35 +0100

How can you be sure that &quot;shaving&quot; old key leads isn't harmfull?
Maybe some of you like the sweet taste you get in your mouth after breathing
in the dust, but I think you better be carefull with the oxidised lead. Use
a good vacuum cleaner when doing the job.
Any thoughts how it became oxidised in the first place? To my knowledge good
pure lead lasts thousands of years (the Romans used lead piping in their
bathhouse in Bath (GB) wich are still intact), so why does it oxidise in
some piano's? You can even have very good leads and very oxidised in one
piano, even in one key.
Impure lead? Something in the wood of the keys?