There's always a hitch

Jean-Jacques Granas jjgranas@zigzag.pl
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:15:52 +0100

Hi Avery and list,

Actually, youn can get factory like results at home. All you need is a =
vise on a bench, and one of those little 4 inch long vise-grips.
1.    You stick a big nail (whose diameter is slightly larger that that =
of the hitch pins) into the vise on the bench, pointing upwards.
2.    You wrap the string around the nail as if you were tying a tie, =
holding onto the wire with the little vise grip,=20
3.    Then swing the shorter end of the wire (the one held by the vise =
grip) four times around the other, longer, end.
4.    On the last swing, bring the tail up to the same plane as that of =
the loop, and snip about 5 mm from the winding.
=20
All this is nothing new, but I noticed early on that success depends =
primarily on continuous and hard pulling on the little vise grip as you =
make your windings. That way they are tight and even. I have strung tens =
of pianos with separate hitch pins, and I get very good looking results. =
My loops look identical.=20

BTW, watch out for that nail sticking out of the vise on the bench - =
it's a lethal object !!!

Peace,

Jean-Jacques Granas