There's always a hitch

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:45:36 -0600

Avery,

I'm afraid I'm misunderstanding you (or not getting a joke?).  Do you =
get single strings with premade coils?  I was responding to the comment =
that single strings would save time in a factory setting...

I've only helped in a restringing by standing at the tail end and =
threading the up through the bridge pins, but it sure seems that after =
an octave or so, you'd really be into the rhythm of it: three fingers =
past the pin hole, snip, thread through pin, make right angle for =
becket, three turns with the T-handle, pound it in, lift the coil, and =
tighten it up a little more.  My guess is it takes experienced people, =
what, maybe two hours to string a grand?  It's awesome to see.

--Cy--

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Avery Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 4:11 PM
  Subject: Re: There's always a hitch

  Cy,=20

  And how many seconds/minutes does it take you to make all those =
individual coils
  for an entire piano and make it look as good as the factory does? :-)=20
  Just wishing I could do it better!=20

  Avery=20

    Compare that with a bulk reel of wire of a certain gauge: only takes =
a second to snip it to the right length, and you've got the same number =
of tuning pin coils to make.
    =20
    --Cy Shuster--
    Rochester, MN