Scaling Programs

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:31:53 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 6:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Scaling Programs

  In a message dated 3/21/2004 10:16:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
clarks11628@juno.com writes:
    Hello, All!  I would like your input on Scaling Programs available.  =
Has anybody used Winscale?  I know that P-Scale seems to be used widely =
(?), and would like to hear comments on the effectiveness, ease of =
understanding, pre-requisites for effective use, etc.  I am in the =
process of doing more re-whatevering than before, and am not satisfied =
anymore with just re-doing whatever I find there.  After using Arledge's =
bass strings a few times, and seeing the results,  I would like to =
understand what to do with the whole instrument.
    Anyone care to comment, please?
    Clark Sprague
      Hey Clark
      What did you think of the Arledges & what are you comparing them =
with/to? Its surprising how many string scales are not all that bad & =
then on the other hand......

  Well, yes, I wouldn't dream of replacing a set of bass strings without =
running it thru Pscale.  When I find a scale that's "good enough"  I can =
just replace what's there, can't I?  IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET!!  You work =
on better pianos than I do.  I just acquired a Mason Hamlin upright from =
1903.  I was told by xxx  "Don't mess with it.  They are great pianos."  =
Needless to say, the scale was much much worse that I had expected.  =
It's my dam piano and I'll do to it what I want.!!!!!!!

  It's difficult, to say the least, to quantify the results of =
rescaling.  Of course it sounds better.  Why else would you restring it? =
 The old strings sounded like two loaves of french bread slammed =
together, so improvement is unavoidable.  And then there is voicing.

  To update my Sohmer.  I have been agonizing the rescaling I did since =
I didn't like the sound of the bichords.  Since I'm not an experienced =
voicer,  I finally, in a fit of terminal frustration soaked the hammers =
in isopropol booze (I used about a pint).  Eureka,  now I think I can =
proceed with my voicing education.  I am no longer paranoid about the =
rescaling.  (sigh of relief)  One of my good buddies in our chapter came =
over today and kindly gave me some good input about voicing. =20

  Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
  Santa Clara, Ca.

  Erwins Pianos Restorations=20
  4721 Parker Rd.