Voicing for a big, dead hall

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:01:33 -0700

Barbara,
     The lacquer and needling treatments posted have been terrific.
Remember though, also, that to really get the most power, "voicing" starts
at the keybed. Make sure the frame is bedded, and that the piano is
grounded. Either on castors or with blocks under the stage trucks. Make
sure hammer travel is as long as you can get away with, and the hammers hit
the strings .... perfectly...      It's like a race car, y'know. The
difference is in the tweaking, and every little bit helps. Oh.... speaking
of which.... consider the add-on belly brace from PianoTek, also. Another
"edge".  Point is.... don't always rely on the poor drunken hammers to get
you there.

Have fun,
Guy