Good Advice, but still Nervous

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:10:14 -0600

First: Is the action otherwise in reasonable regulation? Blow, etc? Is
the trapwork up to snuff? Nothing broken or out of whatck? There must be
some reason why the travel is so great.

Second: The fix I've used successfully when "adjustments" won't work is
to glue a wooden block under the soft pedal lever arm--near the pedal
where the action of the lever is downward--to set a "stop" to the amount
the pedal can be depressed and, therefore, a limit to the hammer travel.
You have to experiment with shims and such to make your block the right
height. It's not under any great shearing stress, so I just glue it with
PVC-E so it can be removed later, if necessary, where Titebond, or such,
would be overkill and make it very hard to remove the block cleanly and
w/o damage.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Doepke [mailto:doepkeb@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 6:51 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Good Advice, but still Nervous

I have a client who's Kimball Console piano hammer rail has too much
travel when the soft pedal is fully depressed.  In other words, it gets
too close to the strings, making the keys play very sloppily and
inconsistent.

I have received good advice from my mentor regarding how to limit the
forward movement of the hammer rail, but I am still nervous on how to
combat the problem and eliminate the excess travel.

The customer has indicated that when the pedal is pushed down 1/2 way,
she can play the piano with much better consistency...it feels better,
not so sloppy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation?

Thank you.

Brian Doepke
doepkeb@comcast.net

---