Voicing for a big, dead hall

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:08:21 -0600

Hi all,

In the past I successfully voiced a couple of (New York) Steinway Ds for =
a small, somewhat dead, concert hall.  It was pretty routine during my =
career (before my maternity leave) for me to find Steinway hammers that =
were *generously* lacquered, with no give in the shoulders.  =
Fortunately, I managed to soften the shoulders a bit, get some sustain =
and produce a nice responsive tone that every one seemed to like--well, =
nobody complained and folks liked to record there. =20

Now I am faced with a "whole nuther" situation---a really big, =
cavernous, suck up the sound sort of hall.  What does it take to reach =
the back of a place like this (besides redesigning the hall).  I was =
thinking perhaps a brighter attack than I usually go for, still keeping =
the give on the shoulders--after all, adequate sustain should help =
(shouldn't it?).  A local tech, whose concept of tone is a bit different =
than mine, once told me that you have to have that granite sound to =
carry.=20

What's your experience?=20

Thanks.

Barbara Richmond, RPT