There's always a hitch

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:07:50 -0600

At 11:35 3/22/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>I would think that you might expect slightly better tuning stability with
>this system. On large pitch changes there s no way that the tension of one
>string of a unison can effect the other strings as might be the case with
>normal strings looped around a hitch-pin. Having all three strings the
>same length from hitch-pin to tuning pin can only help. My thinking is
>that once set up it might save significant time during the factory
>stringing process by having all strings pre measured for any given scale.
>
>- Mark
>
>From: Peter Lamos [mailto:selahpiano@hotmail.com]
>
>     I prepped a Kohler & Campbell grand (KCG-650) the other day and being
> of little knowledge I was wondering what is the point of having all the
> treble wires each individually tied off on their own hitch pin.  Surely
> it can't be tuning stability(?).  Or is it intended to save $$ for those
> that habitually break strings?  You know, better to break just one than two.
>
>  Peter Lamos

Tuning stability, yes, especially when a string breaks. Only affects one
string.

Hammer shank/flange safety, too.  If the loop breaks on the side to which
the action shifts, the hammer can come right up past the string line.

- hard playing could make hammer shank twist enough to break.
- hammer could possibly get stuck and/or break when action shifts back to
rest position and it is being held up by the remaining string.
- above the dampers, the hammer could snap off when hitting the capo.

YMMV

BTW, I'm not familiar with the model.
  Are the knots:
   German  0////|------
or French  0^v^v^v^v^v^v//---- ?

Neither one is particularly hard to make with the right jig.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.