Dampp-Chaser Concerns

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:46:04 -0500

Sounds like this guy is pretty anal and I doubt there will be much you can
do to allay his fears.

Your approach perhaps should be reinforcing that the system is operating
normally; the bars do get too hot to keep your hand on it. Mention that you
could go to a lower wattage bar if it would make him happier, but experience
demonstrates that the system will not be as effective if you do. Thousands
of these systems have been installed. They are safe and very effective and
recommended by all the major manufacturers.

If he doesn't like the temperature then by all means let him unplug it, You
already have the check (you do, don't you?). It is his piano that will
suffer. If he drops you as a tuner, you may be better off without him.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Richard Cromwell
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 10:18 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: Dampp-Chaser Concerns

I recently installed a 7-part 2 tank system into a Bosendorfer 7ft. The
client called and is concerned that the system is drying out his piano. He
thinks that heater bars are too hot (he says they are too hot to touch for
even a few seconds). He mounted a hygrometer under the soundboard for a few
hours and says it is reading 35%. Has anyone ever had problems with a system
malfunctioning and demolishing a piano? The client has since unplugged the
system until I can get out there to look at it, but I don't really know what
to look for.

Does anyone have any ideas or comments?

Rick Cromwell

Cromwell's Piano Service