French Polish versus Lacquer

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:51:06 -0600

-
Subject: Re: French Polish versus Lacquer
Hello David

 I was told that French Polishing protects against color fading of stained
> wood finishes better than Lacquer.  Is there any truth to that?

I would think the opposite.

The piano
> in question is one of those Steinway exotic wood finishes which is fading
> though it is in a room with no direct sunlight and UV on all the windows.

French polish is quite fragile, and very sensitive to humidity and warmth
(and alcohol) : it gets milky.

> A finisher suggested that when the piano needs refinishing French Polish
> would protect it better.

I wouldn't say protect.  Just tremendously enhance the optical beauty of the
wood.

What is certain, is that french polish finish is very easy to restore (for
someone who knows how).  But you should correct the color shade by staining
the wood again (that is after removing the layer shellac), or playing with
stained shellac covering, but the latter is less efficient.

Stéphane Collin

First, call Steinway with a description (model and serial number) of the
piano and the problem.  It sounds like the lacquer finish has no UV blockers
in it to combat fade.  If this is the case, the finish may be restored by
color matching the faded areas, then topcoating with lacquer containng UV
blockers.  You'll need to find a skilled finisher familiar with
shading/toning techniques and rubbing out lacquer finishes.  As mentioned by
others, French Polishing is a finishing technique with shellac or padding
lacquer and other ingredients.  The results are beautiful, but not
necessarily durable or fade resistant.

Paul C