Verituner stretch point questions

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:09:56 -0500

On Mar 21, 2004, at 10:16 AM, Mark Davidson wrote:

> which I think means that the interval A3 - A4
> should be tuned as .33 beats/sec wide of a 4:2
> octave.

I think that's correct.

> It doesn't say so explicitly (at least, I couldn't
> find it) but

Yeah, the manual can be a bit confusing -- I think it would help if you
familiarized yourself with Rick Baldassin's "On Pitch," and/or the
Michael Travis articles in the PACE booklets on tuning. A broader range
of tuning theory than provided in the manual is highly advisable.
What really fogs my brain is the manual's lack of clear explanation
(though Dave Carpenter did clarify it via private email -- of course I
forget the details) about the +/- stretch fine adjustment of the
built-in Styles.
That said, it really is difficult to write a clear manual for a
software/device which allows you a considerable number of functions and
customizing options.
My old SAT II is a much more simple device, but quite elegant and
robust. I usually reach for the SAT when dealing with major pitch
raises on long neglected pianos (and just accept that it's "just so
late 20th century" to use a foot switch, and have some idea of what
note I am trying to adjust).

Patrick Draine