"shaving" old key leads

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:00:32 -0800

I've done this procedure a few times, but I'm looking for advice to help
make this task safer, faster and more efficient. Old wurlitzer grand, circa
1942, key leads in all but the high treble. Most if not all are "swelling"
and even some are breaking through "closed" side of key. In past jobs like
this I used a rasp to remove the excess lead; this type tool cuts larger
"chunks"; the thought being that there is much less or hopefully no lead
"dust" produced, which IS hazardous.

After the rasping, sandpaper block is used to smooth out the sides; because
the lead is cut slightly below flush, only the wood, or mainly the wood is
contacted at this stage. All work is done outside with a fan blowing any
dust particles out of immediate area. Also a dust mask is worn. Last step is
to "seal" the freshly cut lead surfaces with a coat of lacquer, as it will
oxidize fairly soon after if left bare.

During the 40's when this piano was made,  lead was widely used for the war
effort and so piano manufacturers used an additive to make up for the
shortage; this additive is what caused this "swelling" problem later on.

If anyone has a better idea for removing this excess lead, (short of
replacing the leads) I'd LOVE to hear it! Thanks!

Terry Peterson

download! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/