VIRUS!!!! W32.Beagle.M@mm - is on the RAMPAGE!!!

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:21:32 -0800

Duaine,

At 12:59 PM 3/19/2004, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>I won't be affected because myself (and Mac users) don't have .exe files

Hmmm - I wouldn't be quite so smug...no, you don't have .exe files...but,
you have lots and lots of other interesting stuff.

Once you move to OX-blah-du-Jour, you will be in much more invasion-prone
territory...from which MACs have historically been relatively
protected...not any more...it's still a pretty face, but the underlying
'Nix OS is much more vulnerable than it ever was before.

Make sure that you have a full, new set of Norton MAC utilities handy, know
how to use them, and remember to run whatever the latest equivalent of
"Disk First Aid" is before running Disk Doctor.  YMMV.

No, I am not bashing MACs and I don't like Billy-Ware, either...it's even
worse...it's just a bigger, easier target.  If MACs still had the market
penetration they did 10 years ago, then they would be a much more
attractive target.  At this point, it's effectively down to: "Why
bother?"  If it weren't we'd be hearing about viruses and hacks for MACs a
good deal more than we do now.

Practice safe computing!

  - Buy and _use_ a good set of AV/Utilities products.  Get something that
offers, and then _use_ the automatic update and scan features.

  - Make frequent backups.  There are plenty of cost-effective ways in
which to do this now.

  - If you insistent on leaving sensitive data (of any kind) on your local
hard drive, plan on losing it sometime.  Removable drives are very cheap
(comparatively).  An easy thing to do is to install (at least) your
financial programs to such a disk and then simply remove it when you are
either: 1.- on line (for other than downloading updates); or, 2.- not
immediately working with that data.

  - Use an ISP who does at least some filtering/AV scanning for you.  No,
they aren't free; but they can provide reasonable service and at least some
degree of protection, especially for those who are either way to busy or
otherwise technophobic (I include myself...I automate everything I can).

Best.

Horace