Journal Artical - BAD IDEA!

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:59:25 -0800

Thanks for that, Rob.  I remember a neighbor saying sometime ago that =
pvc was not to be used for air though it is rated for 600 lbs pressure.

I've had it in my ceiling for years.  I was oot and aboot today (little =
canydian lingo there.)  Home Depot has red copper and blue copper but =
don't know the difference.  A plumbing shop down the street, said that =
it was the thickness of the copper.  There is green, blue and red.  He =
said that Green is made for air and is cleaned on the inside (used in =
hospitals etc.)  Also expensive. =20

The link said that ABS is okay, but they don't make it in less than 1 =
1/2 inches.

Here's my beef!  I haven't been able to get pressure rating anywhere.  I =
spent an hour on the net and looked at McMaster Carr etc.  Lotsa =
rhetoric but no specs.  I'm sure the rating depends on the diameter.

I give up.  Guess I'll just go with 1/2 inch blue and hope it works. =20

BTW, I love air.  Except from politicians.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob Goodale=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:24 AM
  Subject: Journal Artical - BAD IDEA!

  Journal Article - BAD IDEA!

  I was reading an article in he latest PTG Journal, (March, 2004), when =
I identified a major hazardous no-no.  The article is on page 25, =
"Finishing Pianos:  The Jewels of the Furniture World, Part 6.

  In the article it recommends using PVC pipe for plumbing your shop =
with compressed air to a stationary compressor.  This is a subject that =
I had already been exploring, as I am intending on plumbing my shop for =
compressed air with multiple tap points throughout the shop.

  Here is the problem:  PVC is designed for transporting non-flammable =
liquids, i.e. water, NOT compressed air or gasses.  Under pressure PVC =
becomes very rigid and non-flexible.  PVC plastic does not expand, it =
explodes!  In such an event it shatters like glass sending flying shards =
in every direction.  There have been mulitiple reports of serious injury =
resulting from exploding PVC line being used for compressed air, =
including the relatively low, (55-130 PSI) pressures generated by common =
shop compressors.  It is tempting to use PVC because of it's cheapness, =
easy installation, and high resistance to corrosion.  Unfortunately it =
is not a wise solution.  Use copper or steel pipe only, not PVC!!!

  The following links will take you to credible data on why not to do =
this, (including OSHA data which forbids PVC for compressed air).

  http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/LocalMirror/hib19880520.mht
  =
http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/KeepSafe/HazAlerts/902.ahttp://wolfstone.hal=
loweenhost.com/LocalMirror/hib19880520.mhtsp
  http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/airpiping.shtml

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV