Voicing the CFlll

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:00:24 +0100

On 12-mrt-04, at 17:21, Phil Bondi wrote:

> Thanks as always for the tips and suggestions.
>
> There's been a few of you who say stay away from the steam..and my=20
> question is...why?
>
> Isn't the Yamaha hammer the same hammer that, in my experiences, has=20=

> shown a dramatic affect on tone and voice using this technique? I'm=20
> not talking about making the hammers mush..I'm talking about 1second=20=

> at the shoulders to start to loosen things up.
>
> I don't mean to stir the pot here, but when someone tells me no, I=20
> would like to know the reason why your opinion is no, or why your=20
> experiences say no..I really prefer the experienced voice over the=20
> opinion, but I will listen to both, obviously.
>
> ..and yes, FFF on this instrument sounds distorted to me..my test for=20=

> tuning stability involves hard-playing block triads played=20
> chromatically for 5 measures..it's not sounding good to my ears right=20=

> now..MF all the way down to PPP sounds solid and consistent, outside=20=

> of the voice itself.
>
> Phil Bondi(Fl)

Hi Phil and list,

A little late, but I was gone a few days.

There is a reason why you should NOT use steam on the CFIII-S hammers.
The reason is that Yamaha uses Wurzen felt only on this instrument.
Wurzen felt is usually milder than all the other felts on the market=20
and has the highest fiber interlocking and a great natural elasticity.
The felt was originally made with the use of heat and pressure=20
(followed by an intricate process of further shaking and felting) and=20
and all this refined end product needs is some gentle needling.
Since the re-introduction of Wurzen felt (early 90's) we had to learn=20
again how to voice it, and the voicing process is completely different=20=

from voicing Royal George felt, VFG felt and other felts not made in=20
Wurzen (DL).
Just this last weekend there was a seminar on regulating and voicing a=20=

Steinway B in Paris and those present, were amazed by how (relatively)=20=

simple it is to voice Wurzen felt hammers.
Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that there is (generally=20=

speaking) a very big difference in voicing methods between technicians=20=

in the US and other parts of the world and I know it has to do with the=20=

fact that Americans have gone a complete different way in the treatment=20=

of hammer felts (again, generally speaking). There is for instance the=20=

American preference for softer felt and then bringing up the percussive=20=

standards by using several kinds of hammer dopes. On this list I have=20
been able to learn something about several steam-voicing-methods used=20
on your side of the ocean but I can at the same time tell you that in=20
Europe and Asia, voicing is usually done with needles and with the use=20=

of hammer hardener for the lowest bass and highest treble only.
Most hammers in Europe are bought either from Renner or Abel and these=20=

hammers are usually not meant for juicing up because they have a=20
certain density already, and the whole piano industry in Europe and=20
Asia is focused on voicing them down with needles.
I also understand that in the US there has probably come into existence=20=

a hybrid voicing method consisting of using both needles and steam, and=20=

I suppose many technicians there have perfected it and are used to it,=20=

just as we are used to needles only
The reason why I come forward with this little story is that I have had=20=

the opportunity to get to know the Yamaha CFIII-S very well in the=20
factory, and my advice not to use steam is based on this experience.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -