Loose tuning pins on a Samick

JAMES DALLY jdally@ecr.net
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:13:52 -0500

Hello:  What do you mean by hammers uncrossed?  thanks  Jim Dally
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Andrew & Rebeca Anderson=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 10:54 PM
  Subject: Re: Loose tuning pins on a Samick

  Daniel,
  I'm all for Dampp-Chasers on pianos but if the bass tuning pins are =
already that loose I'd say the damage is already done.  I've installed =
DCs and had loose tuning pins firm up and crossed (not quite) hammers =
uncross in an upright.  If the grand piano were covered with a DC you =
would get more benefit.  There usually isn't a direct opening from under =
the soundboard into the action area for direct exposure.  Humidity will =
cycle through the wood environment and it will get better than it was.  =
Undoing the damage is another issue.  Preventing further damage would be =
the reason for an install.  That would have to be balanced against the =
current value of the piano and the cost to repair it.  Something you and =
your customer are in a better position to discuss.
  CA glue is a quick and cheap way to fix loose tuning pins.  It =
generally is not the preferred method for decent to good grand pianos.  =
If you elect to do this, be sure to protect the action stack as CA glue =
can find its way down through the smallest of holes and do a number on =
it.  (Tape foil up to the pin-block from underneath if you can't leave =
the stack out for a day.)
  Others here can give you more experienced advise on plugging, drilling =
and re-pinning or going up two sizes in pins etc.

  Good luck,
  Andrew