Beats vs cycles vs cents

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:22:31 +0100

Don A. Gilmore wrote:

> Whether you like to believe it or not, music is mathematical.

No... music is not math. That math can describe many musical
relationships is a completely different matter.

> The best
> sounding intervals are based on simple fractions.  An octave is 2:1, a
> perfect fifth is 3:2, a perfect fourth is 4:3, etc.  When two tones are
> played together with these ratios of frequency they sound pleasant--not
> because I say so, because they just do.

Thats exactly my point Don... they sound good because humans are pleased
by them... not because of any mathematics. The fact that these intervals
correspond rougly to simple ratios is an interesting study in itself...
but there is nothing in that fact that suggests that music is math.
Music is what it is.... and we use math models to describe much of it.
Thats as far as it goes.  The very fact that people were playing music
long before they had even rudimentary knowledges of math should be
indicator enough to see and admit this distinction.

Math is simply a descriptor of things.... as a thing in itself math is
something entirely different.

As for the rest of what you write.... most of us have this under our
belts 20 years or more back. We all know this stuff Don. But infering
that music IS math because we can use math convientiently to describe
some of what music is about... is... well wrong.., IMB

I repeat... none of this discounts in anyway the usefullness of cents in
applications where it is appropriate.

Cheers
RicB