Floating soundboards

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:37:38 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_0011_01C40C46.8A700E20
Hello Jean Jacques.

I can not claim that I have experience, but I can claim that I have an =
old Bechstein (model IV, 1870) which has the smaller part of the =
soundboard not being glued to the rim, if this is what one could call =
floating.  The board is finished at that side by a rib parallel to the =
rim.  Interesting feature : the ribs are not parallel, but in a kind of =
star shape : the longest rib at the bass side being closer to parallel =
to the long side of the case than in other arrangements (I suppose to =
favor better flexibility to the bass notes).
I can tell you that the instrument had incredible bass (much fundamental =
even in the lower notes).  About the trebble, I couldn't say : the board =
was flat and showing negative bearing, and the hammers were well, old, =
you know ...
I join a pic of this soundboard. =20

Regards,

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jean-Jacques Granas=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 3:23 PM
  Subject: Floating soundboards

  Hello list,

  I am slowly getting ready to restore an old (1896 as it turns out) =
Bluthner 6'3'' grand.=20

  I will most probably float the soundboard in the deep base. I won't =
need to glue new ribs and there are none in the far corner that would =
interfere. I will probably also replace the board (and ribs) as it has =
collapsed and I am wondering just how long should this float (cut/rip) =
should be. What are the criteria involved in deciding on the length of =
the cut? How do factors such as thickness of the board, distance of bass =
bridge to rim come into play here?

  Another question I have been wondering about is whether anyone has =
ever floated the soundboard at the high treble end, along the short =
side, perpendicularly to the end of the bridge. What are the likely =
results of such an experiment. Btw the treble end float idea is just =
theoretical curiosity.

  Can someone with experience in this matter share a few thoughts ?

  Thanks,

  Peace,

  Jean-Jacques Granas
  Warsaw, Poland