Floating soundboards

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:12:02 -0800

I've done quite a bit of this but...

I'm off to a conference just now and then a business trip. I'll be back in
about two weeks. If you've not gotten the information you need by then
contact me privately and I'll see if I can help.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
512 Hanna Avenue
Aberdeen, Washington 98520
USA
Phone  360.532-2563
Fax  360.537-1262
E.mail  fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Web  www.pianobuilders.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Jean-Jacques Granas
  Sent: March 17, 2004 6:23 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Floating soundboards

  Hello list,

  I am slowly getting ready to restore an old (1896 as it turns out)
Bluthner 6'3'' grand.

  I will most probably float the soundboard in the deep base. I won't need
to glue new ribs and there are none in the far corner that would interfere.
I will probably also replace the board (and ribs) as it has collapsed and I
am wondering just how long should this float (cut/rip) should be. What are
the criteria involved in deciding on the length of the cut? How do factors
such as thickness of the board, distance of bass bridge to rim come into
play here?

  Another question I have been wondering about is whether anyone has ever
floated the soundboard at the high treble end, along the short side,
perpendicularly to the end of the bridge. What are the likely results of
such an experiment. Btw the treble end float idea is just theoretical
curiosity.

  Can someone with experience in this matter share a few thoughts ?

  Thanks,

  Peace,

  Jean-Jacques Granas
  Warsaw, Poland