una corda/tre corda

Will Wickham wwickham@stny.rr.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:47:18 -0500

According to historical sources on the web it was Broadwood that=20
introduced the "true pedal" in 1784. Prior to that time the "pedal"=20
function was operated by lever(s) that were made to function by the=20
players knee. As for the 3 strings per unison, I haven't yet found any=20=

reference to when that innovation came about.

will wickham
still being educated in upstate New York

On Mar 16, 2004, at 12:15 PM, St=E9phane Collin wrote:

> Good work Will.
> =A0
> But didn't the 1722 Christofori already have the shift pedal (Albeit=20=

> on a bichord unisson) ?
> When did pianoforte's start having three strings per unisson (except=20=

> in bass, of course) ?
> =A0
> Regards,
> =A0