Steinway ringing, was Treble ringing problem

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:05:14 EST

    Wim
  I have my own restored S&S D in the shop right now.  On of the problems
with any piano with a lively board is making it shut off especially big ones.
It's possible this piano has no damper return springs or if so they're not set
strong enough especially in the bass. The lowest bichord unison especially wants
to sing on this piano & I had to increase the spring tension. Also
insufficient string braid in the lowest tenor section with the long segments will sing
like a soprano if not done correctly. Also do a staccato check on each note
without pedal & if shutoff isn't quick then usually one string is not being
damped because of uneven damper or string/agraffe spacing. Slit the trichord &
apply kite string in the groove. Sometimes the string can be moved sideways ever
so slightly in the agraffe with a screwdriver to even the spacing.
  Also check for the duplexes singing right above the bass strut. I had to
braid a few here as well.
    With My D piano I think I also here the tuned duplexes singing quite
strongly especially in my shop. My acoustics are ... poor but It was rented for
the Joshua Bell Symphony Concert this weekend & in the hall it was not a
distraction but part of the acoustic content.
   Dale Erwin
While were on this subject, please allow me to change pianos. Last year I
brought up the problem of a student complaining about a B having too much after
ring. Now one of the piano professors said the new D has too much. I thought it
was the "nature of the beast," but the piano professor claim earlier
Steinways do not have this problem. He claims another piano technician, well known to
this list, at another SEC school, said it has something to do with the alloy
in the damper wire, or something to that effect. (If you know who you are, you
may identify yourself.)

What is the opinion on this? What, if anything, have any of you done to solve
this problem?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician