Keeping A440

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:14:50 -0800

< What could be causing such a drop?>

That's assuming the pinao(s) in question were tuned to A440; they may have
been tuned flat, for whatever reason; maybe sheer laziness! Unforgiveable,
but certainly possible. If they were new or newer pianos, than excess
stretching of strings could be part of the reason,as well as humidity
consitenly below 45%, causing the soundboard  lose moisture,(and crown) thus
lowering string tension.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Alpha88x@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Keeping A440
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:44:35 EST

Greetings,

              I have a new customer who is head of a music department.
Claims
she gets all the pianos tuned 3 times a year: All newer (1980+ -) Yamahas.
One
is a grand C7.  I found them all around 8 cycles flat!  I find this
difficult
to fathom. Yet the tuner's card is inside the piano with all the dates
written on it.

               I am really having a hard time believing that these pianos
were
actually brought up to pitch at each tuning. I own a Yamaha. They hold a
tuning (In my home anyway). The pianos are only used about 10 hours a week
more
than a residence. What could be causing such a drop?

rookie
Julia Gottchall'
Reading, PA

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx