Square grand Tunings

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:58:45 -0700

I've told him that before I can be of any assistance I need to know who did
the restoration, what was done, and the serial number.  It is a Brown &
Allen.  I don't claim to have any particular knowledge regarding
comparative square grands and I have no idea where that name ranks it in
the "pantheon."  They liked the sound enough at one time to want to restore
it.  I remember helping to bring it into the house after the
restoration.  I sat down and played a little on it, shook my head and went
over to the Kimball studio piano and finished playing the piece.
They complained that the piano didn't sound as good after the
restoration.  Said something about the sound-board having lost its
crown.  I suspect that a 100 cent plus pitch-raise might do that to an old
sound-board.  I'm not clear if it, the soundboard, was replaced or
refurbished.  I haven't seen it since becoming educated and dangerous.  ;-)
As to value, I believe there are people out there much more qualified to
comment.  I might should refuse to house it indefinitely, but having
another piano to play with is tempting....

Andrew