Peace -- OT

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:41:01 -0500

MessageHi Alan,

>>Peace through victory ... because no other peace is possible with an
intractible, irrational, hate-filled enemy who has an inalterable goal of
the destruction of all we hold dear and a blind ambition to impose and
brutally enforce 12th century Islamic law on all survivors ...

>>But there is hope! And it will be soon.

... which sounds not too different from what they say about us.  Kinda makes
ya' think... or at least it should.  ;-)

Jesus was a pretty astute observer of human nature, IMO, and he well
understood the downward spiral of violence to which Ric refers.  His lesson
to us was that fighting back merely perpetuates the cycle of violence, while
forgiveness of transgressions breaks that cycle for the benefit of both
parties.  Pretty smart guy!  As paraphrased by Matthew (5:38-44), he said...

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'  But I
tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right
cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take
your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one
mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn
away from the one who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was
said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your
enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your
Father in heaven."

I know little of the Quran first-hand, but I understand from occasional
conversations I've had with Muslims that there are similar passages in that
text.  Truth is universal and transcends cultural differences.  We run into
trouble when pseudo-Islamic zealots scream for infidel blood while thumping
the Quran in justification, clueless and unconcerned as to what the book
really says. The same is true, of course, in Christian cultures.

Peace,
Sarah