new topic - Are two Bridge Pins necessary

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:36:13 -0800

You could alternate sides of the pin to keep the strings from tearing =
the bridge off the soundboard but you would sacrifice side bearing =
angle. Especially with a long back scale. Spacing would be a problem. I =
sure it could be done. Over all, the string would waste energy trying to =
move the bridge sideways instead of up and down as it does when the =
sideways tension is canceled within the string length and the string is =
in as straight a line as possible from the hitch pin to the agraffe or =
capo.

Keith Roberts
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 1:33 PM
  Subject: RE: new topic - Are two Bridge Pins necessary

  Hello List - is this a new topic? Surely not! Well, I'll charge on =
regardless.
  Piano Make:  Broadwood
  Type: Grand
  Length: 132cm
  Number: 251233 (c.1933)
  Action: what we call "Simplex" - or "D" - no Rollers or Levers - =
loop&spring + set-off button.
  7 1/4 8ve.
  Bass bridge: This has one single pin to each covered string.
  Main bridge: At the treble break and top break it is relieved to allow =
for a fuller plate bar.
  This is the problem area! At both breaks the back-scale bridge pin has =
broken away the bridge - due to the paucity of bridge material to keep =
it in place.=20
  This has no tonal affect!
  Question. Are two bridge pins really necessary?
  Over to you, List!
  Regards
  Michael G (UK)
  p.s.Great concert at the RFH, London this morning - for children. My =
old friends the LPO playing.