Pin blocks!!

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:49:15 -0400

Hi George,
Any piano, can end up with loose pins.
It is almost entirely due to the environment that the piano was in.
Your piano has obviously been in a very dry environment, sometime in it's life.
Having said that, there is one brand up here, that seems to have a large number of pianos, with the "loosepinitis", it is an Amherst Piano. I think they were so popular, that the company manufactured them with the wood not properly cured, as they were too rushed.
I have never heard of that problem, with a Williams.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: GBartlett
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 11:06 PM
  Subject: Pin blocks!!

  I was wondering if someone has encountered loose tuning pins in a Williams[ Canadian]  Piano.  I have was attempting to tune one recently and was rather surprised to find such loose pins throughout  the bass and tenor sections. The piano was only a spinit but  was in exceptional condition other than its loose pins. Has any other tuners come across these Canadian pianos with similar problems.
  George