Peace -- OT

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:33:46 -0600

Thought provoking ...

My reaction?

Peace through victory ... because no other peace is possible with an
intractible, irrational, hate-filled enemy who has an inalterable goal
of the destruction of all we hold dear and a blind ambition to impose
and brutally enforce 12th century Islamic law on all survivors ...

But there is hope! And it will be soon.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah Fox [mailto:sarah@gendernet.org]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 11:20 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Peace -- OT

Hi all,

Something unprecedented has happened!  Jean-Jacques stole my "peace"
signature!  ;-)  (In truth, I encouraged him to use it in a private
email.)

Ever since I've signed on to this list, I've gotten private emails
inquiring about my "peace" signature, why I use it, etc.  I have also
gotten occasional positive commentary on list.  Quite predictably, for
anyone else who is curious, I am one of those awful "peacenik" sorts.  I
come by it honestly, ever since childhood, when my two first cousins
were in peril in Vietnam in a war that seemed senseless to me.  None of
you knew me prior to 9-11, but I used the "peace" signature in my emails
then, too.  I have always used it as a reminder that there are
intelligent alternatives to war and violence.  Much to my amazement,
people do seem to pause over my signature and ponder this issue.

Anyway, the only reason I'm writing this email is to encourage everyone
who feels as I do to please use the "peace" signature themselves.
There's no trademark on the expression!  Peace should be more contagious
than war, and *speaking* peace is the first step towards waging it.  In
a world turned violent, in which hundreds of innocent people are
slaughtered on Spanish trains, let's speak peace!  Let's spread peace
through gentle reminders to our friends and even our enemies!  Only
peace will save us.

Peace,
Sarah

P.S.  The timing of this email is no small coincidence.  I am half
Spanish, and I have immediate relatives in Spain.  I would truly be
honored for people to recognize the Spanish victims with the simple word
of "peace."

---