for your (radical turn)

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:02:09 -0500

Ed,
I keep three jazz clubs here in the Coleman 11, they love it even though
only one of the piano players
is aware of the non-Et temperament.

Ric,
A teacher here never liked the C7 in ET or Moore but once I tuned it in
Broadwood's Best she likes the piano.

Terry,
At Ed's suggestion, I started the HT venture with the Rep. Vic (Thos.
Moore) Temp.  A nice first step.  But
after tuning a Broadwood's Best..."That's the way a piano is supposed to
sound", was my immediate reaction.

Broadwood's Best is now my default tuning. ET on request (I have a few
customers who prefer this, no problem).

Cy,
I say, start them out right with a WT.  Give them the intonation and key
colouring that the music draws upon.
Shortly after receiving my VT, I tuned a console in my shop in ET. The
piano sounded edgy and harsh.  I retuned
it in Moore. The piano transformed into a sonorous instrument (as much as
it could be).  Night & Day. I was sold.

In the scheme of things, temperament is down on the list of priorities.
Unisons and octaves are paramount.
A concert last Fall had a review which mentioned that the piano was in
perfect tune. I don't believe it was
my squeaky clean unisons and octaves which prompted that remark. I give
most of the credit to the Broadwood Best
Well Temperament which provided the foundation for the tuning.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@comcast.net