Piano Humidity Control System bashing

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@Indy.rr.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:40:00 -0500

Earlier this month I had almost the identical situation.  I tuned a =
piano for a church.  I was referred to the church by one of the members. =
 She is the piano player.  She initially asked me about the =
dampp=3Dchaser system.  I set up a meeting with the interested members =
of the church and gave my lecture of the goods and bads of climate.  I =
thought I made had them convinced.  I called back several weeks later =
and the answer was no.  Ok.  Now the organ player needs her piano tuned. =
 Yes, she was one who attended the meeting.  Now 2 years later I came to =
tune her piano again.  It was 40 cents low.  Ok, she isn't home now...I =
have to make a decision.  I see an organ sitting next to the piano. I =
know they are played together.  Ok,  pitch raise time.  Fine.  She plays =
this thing to death.  Hammer wear had taken its toll.  Poor tone.  She =
must use the shift pedal too, because hammer alignment was off.  Anyway, =
I talk to her husband and explain to him about climate.  By the way =
humidity was at 24^%, which is pretty low for here.  I mention the =
climate control system, he's all for it.  He bought the piano for her =
and wants to keep it up.  I made an appointment with him to come back =
and reshape hammers and shim the action stop.  Just as I am about to =
leave the first tuning appointment she shows up.  She wants no part of a =
dampp-chaser.  She has been told by someone (she wouldn't say who) that =
these systems put too much water in the piano.  And this person has been =
in the "business for 40 years".  I told her I didn't care about what she =
had been told.  The laws of physics are taking their toll on her piano,  =
and something needed to be done.=20

As I went home that day, I thought about the situation.  Things like =
that get to me.  See, this calls my opinion into question.  But, she =
still had me come back the next week to file the hammers. =20

By the way, when I came back to shape hammers, the humidity had gone up =
to 33% and the tuning was all over the place.  I wasn't phased because I =
deal with climate changes far worse at my University job.

Mike Bratcher
  ----- Original Message -----=20