***Re: Nine foot something - quickie hammer centre check

kpiano kpiano@goldrush.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:44:42 -0800

I didn't look at them under a microscope but I think I should have gone another pin size larger so the bad felt and crap got reamed out. I hope it lasts. Next repinning job will only take me two hours.

Keith Roberts

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:47:10 -0700, Kevin E. Ramsey wrote
> OK, I haven't read all the posts, but now I think I know what you're talking about. Locked up flanges on Samick pianos, when you re-pin you see black stuff on the old pins, right?  I've seen a lot of this, like whole actions or damper underlevers locked up so tight that you can hold up the underlever parallel to the floor, supporting even the lead weights while you're holding the flange. Roger says it's an application of graphite gone bad.  I talked to one of their service reps who once told me that there was tallow in the felt, and that if I just got a hair-dryer in there and worked the flanges back and forth, they'd free up.  He also said that the flanges must have been exposed to heat at some time for the tallow, which may be like the lanolin normally found in wool, to condensense onto the pin. Funny, when I looked at some of the pins under magnification, it looked like a plating problem to me to. I work for a dealer who sells samicks, so I'm the one to go out on these !
 kind of calls a year later. I've also talked to one or two other techs who did a repin job, only to have the problem return a year later.